Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pain in my... Shoulder

I have been having problems with my shoulder and wrist (worse than usual that is) for the past few months, so today I finally got in to see the doctor. I was really scared that he would either say I needed another surgery or that he would tell me nothing was wrong...

I can't decide if it is good news or bad news that I got...well, it's bad news, but at least I have answers. The doctor was awesome in showing my the xrays and very clearly explaining everything to me in a way no one has before.

First, there is a bone flake/chip in my wrist. The only way such a flake occurs is a hard impact (like an IED...) Nothing can be done to fix it, but it explains the wrist problems.. Good to know.

Second, the shoulder... Apparently when the other doctor operated a couple years ago he detached two fairly important ligaments. Now that it is done it can't really be fixed. And by doing that he created a very unstable joint. Apparently the technique he used isn't usually done on anyone under 40, because it usually doesn't work and only causes more problems in the long run. So basically the pain is from my shoulder moving around too much in the join creating a bunch of extra wear and tear. My best course of action is some focused strength work to get my shoulder girdle stronger to compensate for the missing ligaments. I can keep lifting/crossfitting (Good news!). But I will fight flair ups the rest of my life and maybe some day a shoulder replacement.

It's one of those things... I'm glad to have the explanation and understand (Knowledge is Power!) But I also hate the notion that this may be a life long cycle... I am going to try to focus on the positive: I survived that IED, and everything I have been through has only made me stronger and more driven in my life. I would not be where I am today if I had not been blown up. And I love my life and the people in it.

1 comment:

  1. You are a strong woman. Each of our journeys in life has different paths. How we deal and handle is the ultimate of ourselves and what makes us stronger. You will get thru this.... Pain in all. Just might life's way of telling you to slow down What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. If anyone can deal thru this it's YOU!!! I believe in you as well as many others. Chin up lady!

    ReplyDelete