Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fight Gone Bad 6


Every year thousands of athletes worldwide come together to help raise money for several worthy charities during the CrossFit Fight Gone Bad event.  Fight Gone Bad is a highly demanding 17-minute workout combining a variety of weight lifts and rowing.  This years charity recipients were Camp Patriot, Special Operation Warriors Foundation, and CrossFit Kids.  Camp Patriot is located in Libby MT and provides access to outdoor adventures for disabled veterans from all over the United States.  Special Operations Warriors Foundation helps to provide a college education to all the kids whose fathers are killed while serving in Special Operations units.  Alternative Athletics gym in Billings MT worked together to raise over $5,000.  International the event raised over $2.2 million.
            
This year I had the honor of getting to compete in Fight Gone Bad for myself.  I was wounded in Iraq in 2004. Some years after I was wounded I was given the opportunity to go on an all expenses paid hunting trip in Dillon MT from the Wounded Warriors Project.  It was such an amazing experience to be so openly welcomed and supported by the Dillon community.  It was also the first time in a long time that I was able to hang out with my brother, go hunting as we had as kids, and just remember a part of myself that I had lost in the trauma of war.  I also just came home from an outdoor combat veterans retreat in Colorado that was again amazing and eye opening.  I am so excited and proud to have the opportunity to raise funds for Camp Patriot this year.  Outdoors therapy and the support to overcome physical and mental disabilities are so vital to a wounded warriors recovery.    


I wrote that for the American Legion Post 117 Newsletter.  Pretty well sums things up.  FGB was a great experience.  It was nice to be on the giving end of these charities instead of the receiving end.  But to also understand how crucial the work they do is.  I am disappointed with how my actual FGB workout went, but I am fighting with some pulled stomach muscles and had to slow it down more than I wanted too.  I kind of felt like I let someone, something, and myself down with that.  But it is what it is, and there is always next year to raise more money and do more reps.  I have to remember that 10 months ago I wouldn't have even been able to finish this workout at all.  So I am proud of that.


Even made the news that night


Push Press
More Push Press
Wall Ball

Next is an Oly meet in October and Pukies Bash (Crossfit competition) in November.

1 comment:

  1. You may not have been able to do the workout how you hoped, but I KNOW for a fact you gave it at least 100% of what you were capable of that day. That's what counts. Doing your best each and every day. One day's best may be a lot different from another's, but that doesn't matter. You do what you can for that day. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete